Can I post quail here?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lswatson111304, Nov 11, 2011.

1. lswatson111304

lswatson111304 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2009
    Milano, TX
    I'm going to, but I'm not sure if I can. I want to post here because it gets more traffic for sexing. These are my SIL's quail. She got them a little over a week ago, when I got my new ones. We were both supposed to have 2 girls and 1 boy. Well I have 3 girls, and they are all laying. Her's haven't done anything yet. There is one that I'm pretty certain is a boy, but the other two I would guess girl (thought I'm not good at that sort of thing) but they aren't laying.
    Not sure if I can tell the three apart so I'll post a few pics and ya'll go at it! Thanks so much!
    The one I'm sure is a boy.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think the next 2 pics are the same one.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Flip those wild ones over and check the vent. If there are rusty brown red feathers around the vent... it's a boy, every time.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  3. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    I think you are right 1boy and 2girls.

4. Fleabuskitty

Fleabuskitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    They all look male to me because of how reddish their chests look. I don't have very much experience with quail, but my female Coturnix's chest is almost solid white other than the black and brown specks - no red at all [​IMG]

5. spikennipper

spikennipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Kent, UK.
    You have one boy in the first pic and 2 girls in the other, the last pic is 2 hens on the left and cock on right, they do have rather orange chests for hens but the spotting and less defined throat band gives it away.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by