Can I Prevent Pasty Butt?

apostoliclady

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 3, 2009
Wilmington, NC
I just got a shipment of almost 70 chicks. Does anyone know of a way to prevent pasty butt from taking over? I'd rather be proactive rather than constantly checking their little tushies for poo. I thought about putting Vaseline around their vents to help things "slide" by...any thoughts?

I believe pasty butt is caused by the chicks getting tooo warm. Make sure there is plenty of room in the brooder so they can move away from the heat as needed. I had this problem in the spring, so I did a lot of research on it and my next batch of babies I got a bigger tote and only put the lamp on the one end. Seemed to work for me. Good luck to you!
fl.gif

I've read that too. They have lots of room to move about and get away from the heat lamp. I also read that shipped birds get it from stress. I can't do anything about the stress they endured...

We've had 20 different batches of chicks. In the first 10, it was a pasty butt fest...but since then, only 2 chicks. We've changed nothing about the heat or other things in the brooder, except that we've begun, from day 1, adding Durvet Vitamins and Electrolytes to the water. Can get it at Tractor Supply. We've used fresh clean water, apple cider vinegar (with the mother), sugar water...it never made a difference.

Give it a shot...

Back
Top Bottom