Can I put 2 hens with chicks in 1 brooder?

Arlaliebmann

In the Brooder
Dec 29, 2020
Stansbury Park, UT
So I have 2 hens that hatched chicks in the nesting boxes around the same time. I have moved them to a separate area brooder, but still in the coop, so the other chickens can’t get to them. I put a divider between the hens with their own chicks.

Soon they will be ready to go outside and there is a separate door for them in the brooder, however I will need to move the barrier that separates them.

Is it possible to remove the barrier now and let them mingle or is that not safe?

So I have 2 hens that hatched chicks in the nesting boxes around the same time. I have moved them to a separate area brooder, but still in the coop, so the other chickens can’t get to them. I put a divider between the hens with their own chicks.

Soon they will be ready to go outside and there is a separate door for them in the brooder, however I will need to move the barrier that separates them.

Is it possible to remove the barrier now and let them mingle or is that not safe?
How much space do your chickens have in general? Do you free-range them? How large is a coop? How large is the run?

Why are the hens and chicks separated from the flock? That’s usually not necessary past Day 2. The hen will make the others back off from her chicks and they will integrate with the flock as they grow.

Back
Top Bottom