can i put 3 week olds out in my coop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by blueseal, Apr 25, 2009.

1. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    the weather is starting to warm up 70s next 4 days, and 40s- 50s at night. i have 17, 3week old chicks i made them a 6x4 pen out in my big 10x12 shed coop they have there wing feathers and getting there head feathers, i have a 100 watt bulb i could use at night. just to be safe. what do ya think. [​IMG][​IMG] there flying out of the little brooder there in now during the day so they must be ready for the coop.

2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

At three weeks the temp in the brooder should be about 80 degrees or so, so based on this thinking, if you are in an area of the country where your temps are near there at this time of year I would go for it. If your temps drop a night, a heat lamp is a good idea.

3. wings

wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Go for it. Just check on them before you go to bed.

Good luck!

~wings

4. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    there out in the coop made a 6x4 pen in my 10x12 coop. there lovin it runnin around eatin sleepin do what chicks do so far only the runt of the bunch has been using the light.

5. MissJames

MissJames Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2008
    Coastal SC
    I put my 3 week olds out in the coop/run last week.They are so happy! I have a 250 watt red heat lamp I turn on late afternoon to late morning. It was over 80 today.

6. TheNewMrsEvans

TheNewMrsEvans Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    If it will be 40F tonight how low would you put the 250W heat lamp for them? Mine are almost 3 weeks old and I just put them out in their part of the coop today...all day they were running around, but now that I turned out the white light they are settling in under the lamp more...

7. ging3rhoffman

ging3rhoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    I just turned off my 7 week old chicks 250 red heat lamp. There are in an insulated coop which holds the heat real well.

I would keep a heat lamp on them until they are 6 or 7 weeks old. They have to be fully feathered. I wanted to be on the safe side so I kept it on until I didnt see them snoozing under it anymore.

Oh and one more thing. If you really love your chickies, plug in a little night light. Mine were scared to death and huddled in a ball the first night i turned off their heat lamp. I had to pick each one up and place them on their roost. I dont think they can see well at night. They just sit frozen. I went out this morning at 5am and they are in the exact spot where I placed each one of them.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by