Can I put 8 week old chicks in coop with 3 month olds ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NewHobbyForMe, Oct 15, 2009.

1. NewHobbyForMe

NewHobbyForMe Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    Missouri
    Hello to all, can someone tell me if my 3 months olds will bother the 8 week old chicks. Should I keep them in a cage and then put them in there? I have four 3 month old RIRs, four barred rocks 8 wks old, four buff orphingtons. They all have full feathers and I will be using a heat light at all times for them in coop. thank you for any feed back.
    [​IMG]

2. silkypie

silkypie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Plant City, FL
    I don't know what everyone else will say but I don't think you should. When I put my younger BR with my few weeks older RI/LH they were picked on mercifully so I separated them again. But that's only my advice! [​IMG]

3. captainmoose

captainmoose Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2009
    SE PA
    When I add new chickens to the flock I section off part of the coop with chicken wire. That way they can see and get use to one another. I also have two runs that are divided by wire, one is 12x20 and the other is 20x20. Each run has its own pop door, they can see each other when they are in the coop or in the run. After about a month I take down the divider in the coop and the all use the same run. I have never had any problems, the old girls still need to let the new ones know who is boss.

4. NewHobbyForMe

NewHobbyForMe Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    Missouri
    Thank you very much, very helpful information. My coop is only 10 ft by 4 ft. Husband is gonna love making it bigger. [​IMG]

5. JayBird+16

JayBird+16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Fitzwilliam, NH
    I agree with Captainmoose, that's what I do as well. By the time I take the divider down the older chickens are already use to the littles and no one gets picked on.

6. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I put 3 month old chicks in with my Rooster and 3 hens and they got along fine, but I think Silkies are just naturally sweeter than other breeds.

I wouldn't do that with my Australorps.

7. cobrien

cobrien Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Oakland, CA
    agree with keeping them separated with some visibility when confined. it also helps if you can let them out to free range with lots of space together before you confine them together.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by