Can I put chicks less than a week old with my four week old chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jkzimm04, Apr 7, 2011.

1. jkzimm04

jkzimm04 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2011
    I have chicks that will be roughly four weeks old next week. I am going to be getting 2 chicks next week that are a few days old. Is it okay to put them together? I don't want the bigger ones picking on the little ones! Any advice on a smooth transition?

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I wouldn't risk it. Since the bigger birds don't need nearly as much heat, I'd put a wire divider up w/the lamp focused on the little chick side. Of course that means two feeders/two waterers.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  3. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Right now the 3.5 week difference in age means a lot. In the weeks to come it will matter less. It's like the difference between a newborn and a toddler. Right now you wouldn't put them in the same Sunday School class, but you could have 3- and 5-year-old children together.

Keep the lil' ones in a separate brooder box for a few weeks, until they gain some strength & sturdiness, and get some growth. Gradually you can introduce them to the older chicks in the weeks to follow. Start with cages/pens side-by-side. Then put them together with close supervision, while giving them all treats. If they seem to be getting along, then you can begin to keep them together.

4. jkzimm04

Apr 7, 2011
    Thanks for the advice. This is my first time raising chickens and I want to make sure that I do it right!!! [​IMG]

5. zengrrl

zengrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Oakland County, MI
    I have a mix in sizes and ages right now. Probably 5 weeks and 3 weeks? But if I were to add more...lets just say IF I WERE TO GO TO TSC AND GET MORE, I think it'd be a good idea to have them seperate. [​IMG]

6. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    I wouldn't.

I just brought home 9 silkie/cochin chicks tonight. The size difference is just crazy between them and my 1 and 2 week old chicks so I put them in their own seperate brooder---I have 5 heat lamps going right now...

7. jkzimm04

Apr 7, 2011
    So if you don't mind me asking, how did they get mixed? Or maybe I should say, when were they introduced to each other?

8. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    I go by size and activity level. Sometimes one might have a runt that needs protection. But less than a week Noooooo

9. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by