Can I put chicks outside before 6 weeks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Gardenlady2, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Gardenlady2

Gardenlady2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2013
    I have 13 chicks that are 10 days old, flying in the brooders (split between two). I've already lowered them away from the heat once a few days ago, and already notice them occasionally sleeping at the opposite end of the brooder. I read a lot of recommendations for putting them out at 6 weeks. Can I put them out sooner if I put a heat lamp in the coop? The high is supposed to be 70 this weekend, but then get cold next week with one day forecasted to be 54 / 37.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Outside at 37 degrees, probably not.
    In a coop with a heat lamp, definitely.
    I raise chicks in an unheated building with a hover brooder or heat lamp (temp dependent) most of the year except extremely hot weather.
    They aren't that fragile.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I never have chicks in my house. They all go into an outdoor coop/brooder from day one. We use a heat box rather than just a lamp but we have always been raising 50-100 at a time. Anyway, an outdoor coop with a heat lamp should be perfectly fine.

1 person likes this.
  4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    What they said. If you'd had a broody hen hatch out these guys, they'd be outside and doing great. Just be very careful with your heat lamp in the coop, make sure it's double or triple secured to prevent fire.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by