Can I put Lone Hen With 3 Six Week Old Chicks?

i have a section in my coop that i enclosedfrom the rest of the coop with chickenwire. it has a small door in it that a full grown chicken can not fit through i put the smaller ones in there for a few weeks and then open the door so they can go in and out. by this time the older ones are used to them and the little ones have a safe place that is familiar and the big ones cant get in. i havent had any problems yet

Quote:
That's a pretty good idea. I'll be having this problem in January/February when I try to integrate my 2 hens current age 9 months and some new chickies that we're getting in December. Building a "small chick" door coop that sets inside the large coop is a simple enough trick that would probably help them integrate better. Thanks for that info!

My younger chicks are nearly the same size as my older hen except the young Sebright cockerel who is bigger than her, since they are only a few weeks younger than her so a chick door wouldn't work for me. Guess I'll have to buy a second coop.
sad.png

Last edited:
Here's a shot of the side area I use for younger chicks to get acclimated to the coop flock. It's wired with hardware cloth under the manure board and chicken wire over the opening at the exterior door.

97463_babies_in_coop.jpg

And this was from yesterday when I attempted to get my babies to come out their little door, they've used the big door but I wanted them to be familar with the smaller opening - some liked it some not so much. My favorite Silkie just flew right out the smaller opening - but my other two silkies wouldn't come out the little door. They came out the big door down the ramp.

97463_baby_day_out_008.jpg
97463_baby_day_out_058.jpg

Thanks - but you can put her in there with the babies - they will probably peck her more then she will peck them
smile.png
Just keep an eye on their interactions and see who becomes head hen.

Back
Top Bottom