Can I put my 6-week-old Silkies outside overnight with no light?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by catchthewind, May 12, 2011.

1. catchthewind

catchthewind Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Vancouver Island
    I have 14 chicks in a brooder inside. 11 are 7-8 weeks old and fully feathered. I'm not worried about them. The other three are 6-week-old Silkies, who seem to be feathering slower than the older ones did. They still have fuzz on their backs or bare backs, though their wing feathers are fully in. I'd really like to put them all outside in the coop together since they get along so well with the Silkies. It still gets down below 40 occasionally here over night, though most often is warmer than that. They will be in an 8x10 coop with our 9 slightly older ones (though separated in their own space for now). They've been off lights for a while inside now, and the room they're in sits around 65 degrees. Will being with so many other chicks provide enough warmth or should I wait another week or so?

2. DTRM30

DTRM30 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    If they aren't fully feathered yet, my thoughts are that 40's is a bit too cold still. They may do OK if they have others to snuggle up against but if it were me, I'd keep them in for a few more weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by