Can I put my chicks out during the day?

OhioTanya

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 22, 2013
Northeast Ohio
I have ISA Browns that are 6 weeks old. I think they are fully feathered. They are getting too big for the dog cage they were growing up in. I put them in an exercise yard in my basement so they can stretch their wings. The problem is they are getting comfortable and can fly OUT of the exercise yard, so now they just walk all around the basement whenever they please. I know I should put a board on the top of the exercise yard to keep them in.

Anyway......I was wondering if they are old enough to go outside in their coop/run during the day. It is only 60 degrees out during the day in chilly Ohio right now. Is that too cold for them? I don't mind bringing them in at night. I just feel bad that they are getting big and really want to run around. I have already put them outside when it is 70 or warmer, but this weather is NOT getting up to 70 again anytime soon. Me and these chickens are getting impatient.

If they are fully feathered then can go outside. It would even be ok to leave them out at night in a coop if they have protection from the wind. Make sure they have food and water during the day. And
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
When exactly is the "right time" to let them out in their coop? Or does it really just depend on their feathers and the temperatures? It's really warming up here in Oklahoma!

I put mine out during the day if the weather is sunny and they are only about 4 weeks old. I just keep an eye on them but even with temps in the high 50's they have been happy and scratching.

Mine have been out since about 3 weeks. Grant it we are hitting 70+ nearly every day, but we have had some near freezing nights and I just turn on the heat lamp, they snuggle up for the night and are fine.

mine are somewhere between 5 & 6 wks. mostly feathered. I let them out during the day. it's been cold on some of those days. I give them a place that is warm & out of the wind where they can retreat when it gets too much for them. today they were out in the big run. the grown hens/rooster were banned for a couple of hours to let them learn and explore. when I went to lock them up because I was finished working nearby & couldn't leave them untended - they had put themselves back in their brooder to take a nap. I just had to secure things so they couldn't get back out when nap time was over.

Mine have been out since their 3rd week and have done well, in a chicken tractor with a box for shelter at night. They came out of the bator on 3/9 so now approx 6 wks old. They will enjoy it outside.

Thank you everyone for your replies. It seems I shouldn't worry about the 60 degree temps. They have a chicken tractor. They can go in the coop part to get out of the wind and cold whenever they want.

Mine went outside at 4 weeks old. Temps were low to mid fifties at night and sixty five to seventy in the day. Didn't have any heat in the coop. I did make sure they went in at night. First night they were huddled by the gates to the run and had to put them all in. Second night put two in and the rest followed. Third night they did it on their own.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom