can i put one dwarf goat in with my 6 chickens

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by new&learning, Mar 15, 2011.

1. new&learning

new&learning Out Of The Brooder

we are finishing adding on to the chicken pin and my husband says....
    "lets get a small goat to put in here with the chickens for the kids"
    will this work?....new run area will be about 30 x 50.

2. muscovy94

muscovy94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    We used to have a Pygmy goat in with our chickens and everything was fine [​IMG] we never had any problems.

Good luck!

3. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Your one dwarf goat will be very lonely. They are social animals and need companionship.

4. The Lisser

The Lisser Chillin' With My Peeps

Chicken food (crumbles or pellets) is toxic to goats. If you put them together you'll have to goat proof the chicken food. In my experience goats are very clever about opening latches and doors and they are good climbers.

Two little goats aren't that much more expense than one - and Stacykins is right - one will be lonely. Two goats together will be less likely to escape and will probably be quieter, and instead of doing their goat "pecking order" on your kids, they'll do it to each other.

5. dutchhollow

dutchhollow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    SW IA
    goats don't do well alone. And yes the chicken food is bad for them.

6. Duck Keeper

Duck Keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    My goats and chickens, ducks, and geese all live together, in basically a run-in barn. The only thing is I have to feed the chickens in a bowl twice a day when I can leash the goats and feed them separate from the chickens, since they'll vacuum that stuff up like you wouldn't believe! The chickens stay thinner in cold weather without any other type of forage, which isn't really all that good. [​IMG]

But... It can be done.
    The chickens pick at the goat's feed too, so I have to stay on top of shielding their bowls from the little greedy beaks.

7. jason_mazzy

jason_mazzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    Make the chicken feed seperate and ur fine. It is not toxic in general. but they will eat till they get sick on it.... that can be a prob. But usually the problem is they eat it and the chicks don't get enough.

8. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    yeah just watch the chicken feed and get that little goat a friend [​IMG]

9. sweeterdeeter42

sweeterdeeter42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northern Illinois
    We had our chickens and two sebastopol geese in with our goats and they were fine. The goats ate the chicken feed all the time and were fine too. They never got sick. I had them all together for many many years. They will attempt to eat it all though, so you have to make sure your chickens get some of the food.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by