can I put pheasants with my chickens?

I've had both ringneck pheasants and chukars mixed in with my chickens. All of the pheasants eventually left, some at about 6 months, some later. The chukar hung around until a neighbors cat got it... I had more problems with the rooster chickens being mean to the pheasants than the other way around, pheasants aren't really that big

It is a bad idea, period! As stated by @Midnightman14 , in the above posts.
Sure
, you hear of peeps doing it and all you hear is "their doing it", never hear them posting later on that their pheasants have a disease or died.
It's just a 'ticking time bomb'....may not be today or tomorrow or a week, month or 2 or even a year but eventually it will happen.
It's hard enough to try to prevent wild birds from introducing a disease to gamebirds, let alone having chickens adding to the biosecurity issues.

You mainly see these claims from peeps that haven't been raising pheasants or other gamebirds for very long or at all, until recently, and really have no experience with raising gamebirds.

Unless your able to provide the necessary strict biosecurity, and have the experience, knowledge which is essential to raising gamebirds, it's just best to not do it.

It is a bad idea, period! As stated by @Midnightman14 , in the above posts.
Sure
, you hear of peeps doing it and all you hear is "their doing it", never hear them posting later on that their pheasants have a disease or died.
It's just a 'ticking time bomb'....may not be today or tomorrow or a week, month or 2 or even a year but eventually it will happen.
It's hard enough to try to prevent wild birds from introducing a disease to gamebirds, let alone having chickens adding to the biosecurity issues.

You mainly see these claims from peeps that haven't been raising pheasants or other gamebirds for very long or at all, until recently, and really have no experience with raising gamebirds.

Unless your able to provide the necessary strict biosecurity, and have the experience, knowledge which is essential to raising gamebirds, it's just best to not do it.
Could I have pheasants and chickens free range together? But both having their own pen, own feed and water etc.
But not during breeding season, I'm not risking that...

Could I have pheasants and chickens free range together? But both having their own pen, own feed and water etc.
But not during breeding season, I'm not risking that...
Sure, you can free range them....but only once! If they get out or are released, they will disappear in a quick chilly minute....most to never be seen again.

Sure, you can free range them....but only once! If they get out or are released, they will disappear in a quick chilly minute....most to never be seen again.
They only disappear when you don't want them to. I turned a hybrid rooster loose once figuring he'd live it up in the wild for a few days and something would get him and that would solve the problem of having a hybrid bird. Nope he lived almost a year in the wild running wild around the neighborhood. He would wait for me to come out with the food bucket so he could try and sneak past me into my golden and amherst pens. Most people don't realize just how much faster birds are at ducking and dodging than us when they're not backed into a corner.

They only disappear when you don't want them to. I turned a hybrid rooster loose once figuring he'd live it up in the wild for a few days and something would get him and that would solve the problem of having a hybrid bird. Nope he lived almost a year in the wild running wild around the neighborhood. He would wait for me to come out with the food bucket so he could try and sneak past me into my golden and amherst pens. Most people don't realize just how much faster birds are at ducking and dodging than us when they're not backed into a corner.
I had a Reeves escape, he lived for 4 1/2 years on his own. He'd come around occasionally but most of the time he was off on his own. He would roost in a different tree, every night. Something finally got him, probably a raccoon.

Back
Top Bottom