Can I put pine chips in mud

I would built up the run first with some gravel at first level, so there is good drainage, then sand, then you can toss in wood shavings, leaves, weeds whatever you want and it should rain off pretty well.

I would built up the run first with some gravel at  first level, so there is good drainage, then sand, then you can toss in wood shavings, leaves, weeds whatever you want and it should rain off pretty well.
I already have my run build but I will try to what you said

Just keep in mind that although I have tried to put it off and ignore it my hens love and need to have a dry loose dirt or sandy area to bath in. I let them free range the whole yard about 1 or 2 days a week besides that they stay in their coop and fenced run where I do not have an area for them to dust bath... But those two days they go near my woods where some saw dust is from tree cutting and they line up and all bath for about 2 hours worth and just sit in it. So if your at it already try and build up and area that will stay dry and have some saw dust or sand preferred for them to bath!!

Just add wood chips if available.

A lot of chips, like 6 to 12 inches deep to start.

The top will dry, the birds will love digging into them.

If the chips get muddy, you didn't add enough.

Back
Top Bottom