Can I put quail chicks of two different ages together?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by SkyWarrior, Sep 15, 2012.

1. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    I have a quick question. Long story short I have 6 quail chicks that have hatched. I have 2 quail chicks that hatched about 19 days ago. Would it be a problem to put them together?

2. oktx

oktx Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2012
    Really depends on the breed of quail however, I have put coturnix quail of different ages and hatches from weeks to months apart together in colonies with no problems. I understand that bobwhite are much more aggressive so consider which breed you have and act accordingly. One thing I did to integrate was to first put the new ones in a smaller pen beside the old pen so they could see and hear each other for a week. If you are going to be adding all the birds to a new pen at once I'd say go for it as long as the younger ones are large enough to defend themselves against the older ones and have a place to run and hide if needed (like some branches/brush). If they are similar size or older birds, I've not found it to be a problem.

3. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    They're coturnix. Thanks for the info. I may just put the youngest ones in a separate brooder.

4. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    I have the parents and their offspring put together and has no problem. They key is put their cage next to other for a 10 days then move them together. Since your chick still young, I just go ahead and do it. You don't now until you try.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by