can i raise ducks in my backyard?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lild303, Apr 30, 2012.

1. lild303

lild303 Hatching

Apr 30, 2012
    hey everyone,
    im new to this and new to raising ducklings..i hope i posted this in the right place...i got 4 rouen ducks about couple days ago...anyone know if we are allowed to raise ducks in Dacono Colorado? im in the city by the way.... i found this somewhere on BYC( thanks for who posted this)...does this mean i can raise ducks but after 4 weeks of age i cant keep them anymore? sorry dont meant to waste your guys time for not understanding this 100%

Sec. 7-84. Prohibited animals.
    [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]No person shall keep or harbor within the city limits any animal that may reasonably and generally be categorized as a fowl, livestock or wild animal with the following exceptions: there shall be permitted in each household in the city no more than a total of two (2) ducks, or two (2) rabbits, or a combination of ducks and rabbits not to exceed four (4) in number. However, when a duck or a rabbit has a litter, the household shall not fall within the prohibition of this section until such time as the ducklings or bunnies are four (4) weeks of age in order to give the owners time to conform with this section. Tropical birds and fish commonly kept within the home are not banned by this section. (Ord. 421 §1, 1992) [/FONT][/FONT]

2. wildpeas

wildpeas Songster

Mar 18, 2012
    Port Orchard, Wa
    It sounds like you are only allowed to have 2 ducks so you would need to find a home for 2 of the 4 you currently have.

If you have a male and a female and they produce babies then you have until the babies are 4 weeks of age to find homes for them, leaving you still with only 2 ducks.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  3. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    X2 yep, you can 2 and no more than 2 over the age of 4 weeks.

4. ambrose

ambrose In the Brooder

Mar 16, 2012
    I can see why you're confused. how could you have other combinations of four if you can't exceed two of either?

5. Kaianuanu

Kaianuanu In the Brooder

Apr 25, 2012
    You may be able to get a way with four by saying your significant other or someone else owns the other two since, its say "no person" rather than designating the limit as per residence, however, often times officials ignore the details clearly left out in laws and punish you anyway. However, I doubt you would have problems with sneaking an extra two unless they are loud and bother your neighbors, or are destructive to your neighbors property. Just get you neighbors to fall in love w/ them as i have never met a man who can deny the cuteness of a duckling lol. Even i consider myself to be "a man's man", and i even am an avid hunter, yet my duckling still is just as adorable.

6. MallardDuckling

MallardDuckling Songster

Apr 29, 2012
    Montgomery County, Ohio
    Where did you find this posted at?
    I live in the city as well (different state than you) and I've been trying to find out if I need a permit or anything. I've looked evrywhere trying to find something, but I've come up empty handed.

7. Kaianuanu

Kaianuanu In the Brooder

Apr 25, 2012
    You need to check both your city and county regulations as sometimes the cities simply dont post rules because they are already county wide. I see you live in montgomery county ohio so try to do the following google searches:

Montgomery county ohio livestock regulations
    Montgomery county ohio pet regulations
    (your city name here) ohio livestock regulations
    (your city name here) ohio pet regulations

Last edited: May 1, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: