Can I retrain my EE to lay in the nest box instead of on the floor

I would have lower nesting boxes.. Some of my hens like to nest high, and some low. It all depends on the hen. I have various heights in my barn. Most prefer the higher ones, but I do have a RIR who will only nest low.

Golf balls are what cured my girls from laying on the ground, but looks like you have already tried that
hmm.png

Yes - I'm sure I'll have to add some lower nest boxes anyway for the future as I have a couple of Silkies - who will hopefully turn out to be pullets and I don't think they'll want to jump up there. I'm hoping the pingpong balls and visit to the box today will help her remember for going forward.

I caught her acting like she was going to lay one day on the floor so I moved her up to the nest box. She didn't lay that day, but the next day she was in the nest box and laid her green egg there in the one on the right where Snow White is now. Since then she's laid 2 eggs in the nest box! Here is Bandit on the left and her hatchmate Smokey is in the middle. Snow White, my faithful White Leghorn is in the right box.

I would gladly let her lay on the floor of the coop just to have her back with us again. Sadly Bandit died suddenly yesterday morning. She was just 22 weeks old and laid just 5 green eggs. Rest in peace my sweet Bandit.

Back
Top Bottom