can I safely remove the tissue connecting chick to egg?

chickengrl

Songster
9 Years
Sep 30, 2010
Northern Virginia
Sorry all, I need some quick advice. I looked through several threads and could not find the answer. We are on day 23 of our hatch in a brinsea octo 20 with humidity pump. Most chicks hatched over the last 2 days and we had 2 eggs left behind with small pips that were not progressing. I realize it is best not to help, but they seemed to be not moving as much and were not peeping except rarely. These were rather costly lavender orps and BLRW so I really didn't want them to perish. The membrane looked really dry too. (yes, we did remove chicks when we got 4 or so since they were whooping the other eggs around and not much room) So, in retrospect we probably caused the problem. So, anyway we helped the chicks finish very carefully with a very tiny amount of blood only. They are now lying in the incubator with a piece of tissue still anchoring them to the shell. One in particular seems to be having trouble with it because it keeps flipping him on his side. So, I was thinking that this tissue would dry on its own and separate fron the shell, my DH really wants to cut the chick loose. They are both lively and cheeping. Not sure what to do now. Please any advice appreciated. OK, putting on my flame suit to take my beating for helping out......ok fire away! No, really thanks!!! Best, Stacy
idunno.gif
hide.gif

I always help if I feel there is trouble I go by my gut and so far I have done fine. Leave them in the incubator it will dry on its own if it dries and is still stuck to the egg shell gently pull it away from the egg without pulling on the chick.

Hey, I help out my chicks if I think they need it. I know the majority advise not to, but I've never ever lost one I've helped and have lost those whom I did not help. If I don't see much blood I give em' a hand and its always worked out for the best.

I've had some with dried membrane on them too. I've removed it. Once I couldn't remove the whole thing. I had a poor little chick with a piece of dried membrane stuck to his back. The other chicks pecked at it until one day it was gone! If you feel you should cut the little thing loose and you don't see any blood, go for it. You know the situation better than we do. Follow your best judgement. However, if you choose not to, I bet the chick will be fine anyway. Good luck! Let us know how it works out!

I will NEVER berate anyone hatching eggs, it is an art and there are NEVER any correct answers, just experience and every hatch is different. You did fine, but you are correct about that humidity drop, but you may have had a chick get hurt that was otherwise fine. You never know.

You can easily detach this membrane without causing any harm by holding the chick under warm running water in your hands. Let it flow and the membrane will gently pull away. DO not pull it if it is the umbilical cord, let that part remain and dry on its own. After the water bath, dry the chick well with paper towels and return it immed. to the bator until it is dry and fluffy. Do the next chick the same way. I can never sit there and NOT help a chick out, if I caused the problem, it's not a nature/strongest thing, it is my fault. I help, and if it causes more harm, I learn. Your chicks should do fine. Good luck as those are gorgeous birds. HenZ

Hope this helps. I've done it lots of times on my chicks where I've had staggered hatches and HAD to remove chicks. Just one of the hurdles to get over.

Thanks guys! All worked out really great. One little chick broke his tether on his own and I gently pulled the egg away with that tissue on the other chick (making sure not to pull on the chick itself) One little one was having some trouble staying upright for several hours and was staying on his back, we were a bit worried about it. It seems that more time and rest in the incubator and he is getting stronger and staying upright without as much trouble. We might leave both in the incubator overnight until both are stronger.

We did have a few more eggs that never did pip. No movement or noise from these. Tried the float test and all of them did the "low float".....ok what does that mean? Supposed to mean they are still good? We then candled them and saw what looked like liquid moving about. Pretty sure they are no good. Should be stuffed full of chick. right? I thought the bad ones would either float high (like fish bobber) or sink. None of these did either. My gut tells me that with a bad candle, no noise, no movement they must be a goner.

So, It's our first hatch and with 24 eggs set (didnt count our bantam eggs stuffed in-suspect not fertile) we had 11 chicks hatch. None of the eggs were shipped we picked them up. So not an amazing hatch, but these little guys are the cutest ever!! I just love the little lavender orps. They are beautiful already!

Anyhow,
thanks much for the kind replys and encouragement. Best of chickening to you all,
Stacy
jumpy.gif

I had a chick that had trouble sitting upright. She laid on her back forever and just kept toppling over. I took some paper towels and sort of scrunched up a nest for her. I bolstered her with paper towels and propped her up against the side of the brooder (a cardboard box) and she was able to stay upright with some support. She also had curled toes. I made little shoes out of band-aids to straighten her toes. She only wore the shoes over night, by morning I could take them off and her toes were normal. She was fine after that and had no more problems sitting up or walking.

If your candled eggs look liquid, they are most likely not good. Congratulations on your hatch!

Thanks Diane for the info. I think I got lucky this time and this little chickie must have just needed some time and rest. His foot turned and straightened on its own thankfully. Must have just been smushed tight in the egg. Best! Stacy
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom