Can I save an egg that is cracked!?

arockkid

Songster
8 Years
Feb 28, 2011
Buffalo NY
I have eggs that will hatch in one week, and noticed one got cracked on the bottom, but is still moving when I candle it....can I save it? Maybe put some tape over it or something? I'm sure it's been asked before and I'll do a search, but need a quick answer!

If the membrane is still in tact, it should be fine. Just be very careful turning it. You can put candle wax to seal the crack, but then I might be afraid it would be hard for the chick to break free.

I think I'd just be careful and leave the egg as it is.

Sharon

I DID put wax on it, found it in another thread. The crack is at the bottom, so I don't think it could affect the hatching. I'm crossing my fingers!

The wax may very well work. Just keep an eye on the egg to make sure that it does not go bad. For me, the sniff test always worked in these situations.

I was candling my broodys' eggs and there were soooo many I ended up dropping 2. One cracked and bled a little bit and the other just cracked at the bottom. I felt awful as I have never done this before. I placed them in the incubator 3 days ago and expect them to hatch within the next day. (They have internally pipped!!!) I was sure they were shot but did my own experiment and turns out they both seem fine. I did not put anything over the egg at all, just left as is. These are pretty significant cracks too. Good luck!

I put wax on a cracked one. I was worried about it loseing to much moister. It hatched but when it pipped I had to peel of the wax. It was stopping the shell from falling off.

Back
Top Bottom