Can I save this full-term embryo? It got cold. What will happen?

bantyshanty

Oval Office Courier
10 Years
Oct 6, 2009
S.W Pennsylvania
I had a broody Ameraucana sitting on eggs for about 40 days. After she'd been broody about 2 weeks (and I not planning she should hatch--had her on ceramic dummy eggs), I ordered serama eggs & set them in the incubator, since the Ameraucana was a first-time broody. I moved the broody into the living room in a dog crate.

So... the seramas all hatched out by yesterday, and when I put the last couple straggler chicks under her, I removed her last two eggs. She had one Ameraucana egg in with her dummies from another hen. I rolled it to the corner of the living room floor, as she's inside to brood, and I ignored it. I had surgery last week, so I'm not up to certain acts of vigilence such as Candling the discarded egg. Tonight I candled the egg. It (omg) looks to be full-term developed.

I felt terrible, thinking, it must have died yesterday. I then put it in my now-sterilized hatching incubator, told my family the story, and went to candle the poor chick an hour later. There is Movement, and btw, the veins were still red, that's why I re-set it. The chick turns around a bit when candled.

Can this chick hatch out? or is it permanently doomed by being left on the floor at 70F for 36 hours?

don't feel bad, we all do things here and there with hatching that we wish we had done different. i'm really happy you caught it and saved it!
clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom