Can I see pics of your Swedish ducks/ducklings?

I thought they called that splash as a coloring for swedish. If genetics play out perfectly (ha) and you breed blue to blue, supposing you have 4 ducklings, I think you get two blue, one black and one splash. Splash looks like normal Blue or Black when young but whitens as it ages. Experts out there please feel free to correct me.

I thought they called that splash as a coloring for swedish. If genetics play out perfectly (ha) and you breed blue to blue, supposing you have 4 ducklings, I think you get two blue, one black and one splash. Splash looks like normal Blue or Black when young but whitens as it ages. Experts out there please feel free to correct me.

Not quite. You are correct in that you can get blue, black, and spash, however a blue or black duck or chicken that gets more white feathers with age still has the genes of blue or black. Splash is its own combo of genes and the bird will look predominantly white from the beginning with just a few flecks of blue or black feathers in the mix. Here is good pic I found online that clearly shows the 3 color varieties.

1200px-Svensk_bl%C3%A5_anka.jpg

Here is a diagram I found that kinda explains the genetics

blue-blue.jpg

Thanks very much. I was hoping somebody with better knowledge would chime in. Very helpful. Especially the chart. Also, since I am craving a splash, I know what to ask for next time. Now if you can just explain why my Swedish came without a bib:idunno

Thanks very much. I was hoping somebody with better knowledge would chime in. Very helpful. Especially the chart. Also, since I am craving a splash, I know what to ask for next time. Now if you can just explain why my Swedish came without a bib:idunno

That I don't know, I'm pretty sure the bib gene is dominant, so all Swedish should have a bib, even if it's a messy one.

Back
Top Bottom