Can I see your aviary/ground pen?

I had the same problem. I moved them outdoors on the ground, and they were noticeably happier. I keep 3 roos in a pen with all of my hens, and have 2 roos in separate pens attached. They all get along really well… buttt their pen sucks. It is just chicken wire wrapped around those silly little green posts, with an apron. I have had no predators get through the chicken wire, but I got so paranoid about them getting snatched up I started building a whole new pen from wood and hardware cloth :gig It isn’t built completely yet but here is a simple drawing of what we decided

3595795A-0EB5-4461-8ABB-407C72507266.jpeg

12’x6’
Four 2’x6’ pens
Two 4’x3’ pens
The two 4’x3’ pens can turn into a single 4’x6’ by removing a divider.
Originally it was going to be six 2’x6’ pens, but the kids said it looked too much like a prison :rolleyes:
It has been incredibly easy to build… staining it has taken the longest haha! It is quite large though. I plan to have it all put together in the next few days. I’ll have to get pictures.

With our winters I will definately need something for the wind and snow I think.
Last winter I bought a roll of plastic sheeting from Ace Hardware and stapled that to the outsides of the pens and added extra bedding. The plastic kept out the wind and actually kept the pen above freezing temperatures. As long as the birds are out of the wind and dry they should be good to single digits (Fahrenheit)

It won't stop them from fighting, mine still scrap from time to time, but the space will allow them to get away from one another and not pinned down in a corner.

Adding food and water on both ends of the pen and multiple hides seemed to help to.
You'll spend at least $40 per roll of wire and I get my metal roofing from home depot for about $20 a sheet. It adds up quick, but spending the money and doing things right the first time leads to less headaches in the future and a better experience in my opinion!
I don't mind an occasional squabble but I would like them to stop scalping each other.

Tiki was getting relentlessly pick on by Jasmine, so I took Jasmine out. Then my male, Poncho, who had been scalped as a young male, picked up where Jasmine left off. At first I couldn't tell if he was chasing her to try to mate or picking on her. Decided to give it until morning. Tiki was then noticeably picked and being hunted by him, so gave it 1 hour so my kids could wake up and come help me. When I went back she was completely scalped with blood everywhere. So, put Jasmine back in and took Tiki out. After she healed for a few days, put her back in and Jasmine and Poncho immediately opened her scabs back up. Out she goes again. She was completely healed up, planning on putting her back in tonight. Last night, now they are chasing Mrs. Nesbit and pecking her head. I took her out and put her in with Tiki. Only going to be for 1 day. She has reopened Tiki's head. And then I guess Tiki got made and now is chasing Mrs. Nesbit and is preventing her from going in the shady area of their time out enclosure. That's long...and probably not necessary but I just can't get them under control.

Last winter I bought a roll of plastic sheeting from Ace Hardware and stapled that to the outsides of the pens and added extra bedding. The plastic kept out the wind and actually kept the pen above freezing temperatures. As long as the birds are out of the wind and dry they should be good to single digits (Fahrenheit)
You have bedding on the ground? What kind do you use for it? I was planning on putting some long grasses in there, but letting them free range on the ground. Currently I have sand in the closed part of their enclosure, but with separate space for a dust bath, could I just put bedding under their hidey holes

I had the same problem. I moved them outdoors on the ground, and they were noticeably happier. I keep 3 roos in a pen with all of my hens, and have 2 roos in separate pens attached. They all get along really well… buttt their pen sucks. It is just chicken wire wrapped around those silly little green posts, with an apron. I have had no predators get through the chicken wire, but I got so paranoid about them getting snatched up I started building a whole new pen from wood and hardware cloth :gig It isn’t built completely yet but here is a simple drawing of what we decided

View attachment 3616645

12’x6’
Four 2’x6’ pens
Two 4’x3’ pens
The two 4’x3’ pens can turn into a single 4’x6’ by removing a divider.
Originally it was going to be six 2’x6’ pens, but the kids said it looked too much like a prison :rolleyes:
It has been incredibly easy to build… staining it has taken the longest haha! It is quite large though. I plan to have it all put together in the next few days. I’ll have to get pictures.
How many total do you have?

You have bedding on the ground? What kind do you use for it? I was planning on putting some long grasses in there, but letting them free range on the ground. Currently I have sand in the closed part of their enclosure, but with separate space for a dust bath, could I just put bedding under their hidey holes
Originally, it was all grass like the rest of the yard, but they quickly ruined that. So now I use straw so they’re not walking in just dirt all the time. When I take out all the straw and put new in it keeps it smelling better and more sanitary. Plus in winter months it helps with insulation against frost and such. They carry the straw into their hides and make their own nests.

Sometimes if I bag the grass when I mow I’ll toss some in for them since we don’t use pesticides or anything on the yard

Originally, it was all grass like the rest of the yard, but they quickly ruined that. So now I use straw so they’re not walking in just dirt all the time. When I take out all the straw and put new in it keeps it smelling better and more sanitary. Plus in winter months it helps with insulation against frost and such. They carry the straw into their hides and make their own nests.

Sometimes if I bag the grass when I mow I’ll toss some in for them since we don’t use pesticides or anything on the yard
Gotcha. Sounds like a good plan.

I just took everyone out, power washed and changed all the sand. Went to put them back in and noticed while in isolation with tiki (the original bullied) today Mrs. Nesbit has possibly lost her eye🙄

So now she can't go back in with the others because they were all chasing her for the 5 min before I put her back in and all she wants to do is sleep. 😪

But on the bright side, hubby didn't say no to an aviary. He said no until the weekend when it's not 112, but we might be able to do one so yay!

I do think my top aggressor is going to need to go though even with the aviary.

I think I might be done. Cleaned everything, rearranged. Put all but injured eye back in. First thing this morning, my original injured is completely bloodied. I don't think she is going to make it. My male is completely covered in blood from attacking her. Blood all over the cage. I put that quail back in there and they tortured her. The male and my aggressive female need to go ASAP. If they touch my nice, polite tuxedo girls I am going to be so upset. I'm pretty sure half of my new hatch is from the aggressive female's eggs. I do not want to watch them murder each other. This so frustrating and I just feel awful.

Back
Top Bottom