Can I skip a day collecting eggs

rwmcdaniel

In the Brooder
May 24, 2022
I'm going out of town this evening (Friday) and will not return until Sunday. Can I skip egg collection on Saturday and just get them on Sunday? Daytime temps right now are in the high 70's to 80. Thanks

Yes of course. Some days we don't collect from sheer laziness, if we aren't hatching them and if temperatures are reasonable.

The only problem can be if the eggs build up in the nest box so much that each one is not cushioned enough by nesting material. Then later hens can stand on eggs on top of eggs and break some.
The more hens you have wanting to use the same nest box, the greater the risk. (8 of ours think only one of the 3 identical nests is suitable.)

But for going away, you can always just dispose of any damaged eggs and clean the nests when you get back.

I frequently skip the daily collection on the days I work when I don't get home until almost dark and have to cook dinner.

As long as temperatures are moderate and you don't have a broody incubating anything she can collect, things are mostly fine. Sometimes I get dirty or damaged eggs, which is the price of getting to sit down after dinner instead of having to collect eggs in the dark.

Back
Top Bottom