Can I sneak an orphan chick in with another mother hen and chicks?

Well, it seemed to work putting the chick in, in the dark, so far. The hen took her right under her wing. The hen is a frizzle and all of my hens with frizzled feathers are very high strung! So trying in the daylight was a catastrophe as soon as I went near her. Also, the chick got banged around a lot with her original mother and wasn't doing very well with me - eating or drinking on her own, though I was able to get her to with help. I'm hoping the mother will do better than me. I'll keep you posted.

It depends on the Mom for sure. I just did this over the weekend. Had only one serama chick hatch out of a batch, and I had 4 in the brooder. The Mom was small, so I could only give her 2 more chicks.
I slipped them under her at about 3am, and the next morning she was fine and huddling over them or peeping at them to eat and drink.

You just have to watch them.
Some will peck at them immediately, and some wont until later.

Aloha bluebutt

How has it worked so far??
I slept 1 orphan chick this first night momma was killed and the second night two more that were also found that survived. She did peck only two of them the later part of the day and I then took the two and put the under her after she went to nest to roost for the night. The 1st orphan was fine and I hoping these two will be okay after spending a full night under hen. I hope mom will take care of them better today.

Any suggestions or advice?

Debra

Back
Top Bottom