Can I start them on layer feed?

DavidKerk

Songster
9 Years
Feb 9, 2013
Hi, my new batch of chicks are between 12 and 15 weeks of age and are a variety of different breeds. I am going on a week trip soon and was wondering if I could put them in with my big chickens because the chicks feed and water containers won't last them. I am also out of starter feed. Will eating layer feed this early be harmful to them? I usually switch them at about 16 weeks so this would be a little early. I have had to switch previous batches at about 13 weeks before do to a un-predator-proof chick coop. Thanks!

Last edited:
This is why feed companies produce feeds that the entire flock can eat. Just lock down the Layer in a good sealed tub and break it out a month from now. Meanwhile, pick up some good All Flock or Flock Raiser, or a Grower that is 16-18% protein and have the brother feed them all. Done. There is no magic in Layer feed, only the marketing of convenience, that's all.

There are lots and lots of folks who never feed Layer. As long as the hens have a bowl of calcium supplement to pick at as their bodies demand it, all is well. Young birds don't normally fuss with the calcium.

Last edited:
3 months is far too long for them to be on starter feed.

they should have been on layer probably no later than 5 weeks old

i usually switch them as soon as they are fully feathered

just throw them out there they will be fine :)
Chicks should not ever be started on layer until they start laying, around 16 to 20 weeks of age. The excess calcium at that age can be very bad, even lethal for them. Starter/grower can and should be fed right up to point of lay, or a flock raiser type feed.

here is the money shot from your link

Feeding different age groups together.​
Given the power and force of chicken math, chickens of mixed age groups often occupy the same living space at any given time, which raises the question of how to feed them. This situation isn't ideal, but it's not unique either. Providing unmedicated starter/grower to a flock of mixed age birds with calcium available free-choice to the layers is the best solution. The additional protein in the starter/grower ration won't hurt the older birds, but calcium contained in layer feed could damage the kidneys of growing birds.

notice the "Could" before damage the kidneys of growing birds. this is saying that a very young bird that should be on starter (up to 8 weeks) are not recommended to be eating layer

these birds are merely weeks 3-5 weeks short of being on layer anyways.

I'm telling you especially if its short term , this isn't gonna hurt your chickens one bit, just put em all together and keep your feeding simple

since someone else will be doing it. "oh geez"

Oh geez
lau.gif
To each their own, that's alright. I will go with what is proven, you can do what you'd like but I'd hate to think of someone taking that advice and something bad happening to their chicks. That is all, many many people come here looking for advice and take the first thing said to them as the honest to goodness truth. But I haven't said anything mean to you so please don't be rude to me.

Last edited:
You shouldn't put them on layer feed until they are 16 weeks of age, because it can cause chronic kidney damage.
hmm.png

Last edited:

Oh geez, I'm sorry, but this is completely wrong.

never waited that long, all my adults get layer feed , and they get watermellon, lettuce, apples, cooked rice, etc etc.. every day. and i have never kept a chicken on starter until they started laying, i have never had a chicken get sick nor have i ever had one die.

this would require seperating them until they start laying , so for my breeds 5-6 months old chickens still on starter? thats rediculous

Back
Top Bottom