Can i still do something with it??

Chicken7777

Songster
13 Years
Oct 10, 2008
North Jersey
Hello everyone well our pet Cornish cross was found dead this morning lieing on his face in the coop. I really feel bad for the creature as we took care of him since he was a day old chick.
We didnt buy him to eat it but to raise and see what its offsprings would be like but sadly he died....
hit.gif

Now I wante to know though was his death a natural death or caused by something....one of my pekin drakes used to be his bully but I always had my poor rooster in great conditions away from that bully!

But I wanted to know, would it be safe to eat him if possible to eat him?
I wouldnt want to eat him but I wouldnt want it to go to waste either.

I just found him dead this morning so it has not been long.

I appreciate the help guys, thank you!

Sorry for your loss.
sad.png
It is a good question that I'd like to hear what others think about.

My friend had 2 chickens freeze outside on 0 weather. I was surprised she didn't butcher them, but she is more into pets than food. I figure a freezing death would be safe for human food.

No- DON'T eat it. It's always a bad idea to eat something that died of natural causes. In fact, I wouldn't eat anything you didn't kill yourself. Maybe if you SAW an animal kill it, you could consider eating it, but you don't know what kind of disease killed this bird, or how sick it was before it died. Unless your bird was out in the elements with no shelter, the cold probably didn't kill it- sickness did. Don't risk it.

Don't eat what you didn't kill.

If I was reasonably sure that nothing nefarious killed this bird, I might use it for dog food. Might.

This is going to be an occupational hazard in keeping cornish cross birds as pets or with an eye to breeding. They just aren't designed to survive.

With homegrown animals, I never eat anything that I didn't actually kill or process myself. You just never know. Especially since you don't even know how long the carcass has been there.

Back
Top Bottom