Can I stop a rooster from crowing???

Oz Chook

Chirping
13 Years
Nov 11, 2007
Western Australia
I've just learnt my 7 month old Silkie is in fact a he and not a she and is telling everyone about it from 4am until well after 10am (what happened to the 'at sunrise' theory?)

Unfortunately I cannot have roosters where I live so unless I can get the crowing under control Mr Frizzle has to go!

He is now sitting on my lap while I'm typing this at 9:30 in the morning crowing his little heart out, bless him!

I read on this forum once that they need to stretch to crow so last night he slept in the cat carry cage in the laundry but still crowed. Based on this theory how high should the box be without being too small?

It still wouldn't solve the issue with the time. Is he crowing at the wrong time because he has just figured out he can so he is doing it all the time because he likes the sound of his own voice or is the sunrise crow just a myth?

I have decided to never again get babies because this is the 2nd one I've loved and discovered to be a rooster and it's just too heartbreaking to give them away
sad.png

Thanks all,

Sadly he's off to our friends farm this afternoon
sad.png

Thought it was worth asking...

Next time I'll just get full grown chooks then there will be no doubt. I'll miss out on watching them grow up but it's better than watching them go live elsewhere 7 months later.

I am wondering the same thing....I have deduced that the only way to stop the crow is to remove the head. Or send him away. My BR is okay, but my Mottled Houdan has the shrillest carry-on-the-wind crow I've ever heard. He may be stew before long....

Interesting ...my Sizzle has a very mellow crow ..and my little mystery, Silkie ..she, we hope ...s/he crows, but it sounds more like the "hoot" of an Owl to me. It's very low and she barely ever does it ..hence the mystery status.

I like the sound of their crows ..and it can't be heard outside the house. It's barely audible when they are in the run in the backyard, even.

The Faverolle roo is a totally different story
tongue.png

Quote:
It may or may not, but it's probably too late to do it and have the bird live though it. It would make for one pretty sappy rooster too once you take the hormones away. Good thing you were able to find him a new home!

Back
Top Bottom