Can I successfully raise a single duckling?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by asher, Jul 1, 2008.

1. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Out of five eggs set down in the hatcher, only one hatched. Cutest little australian spotted bantam duckling.

WELL, I can't find more around here at all. I've put the word out and nothing. *sigh* Still hoping, but nada.

So...can I successfully brood just one baby? I had chicks due, too and none are hatching (were due today) or I would have attempted to put it in with them.

Help please? Maybe I can find a standard day old duckling to brood with it, but I don't really *want* one long term so thinking it's not the best idea although I know I could rehome it later.

2. LuannKeller

LuannKeller Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Greer, SC USA
    If you have time to spend with him, he will be a devoted pet duck and a happy one. I used to get one each year as a kid and it was a blast - I was a dedicated mom and the duckling adored me. When he was old enough he worked his way into the flock but was always very tame.

3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Tiffany also just posted about a single duckling....

4. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Okay, daughter says she'll brood him in her room. hehe He's already a little cuddle bug and he's barely been out of the incubator, yet! I need to find a little mirror for him. Also need to get some unmedicated chick starter b/c I think what I have is medicated. *sigh*

5. fullhouse

fullhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    MI
    I agree. I have a friend with a house duck. [​IMG]

6. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Yes, you can make a little duck diaper.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by