Can I switch my chicks from organic crumble to medicated?

RNjoy17

Chirping
May 2, 2021
Hi all,

I currently have 1 5-6 week old EE (the others raised with it unfortunately passed of an unknown illness), and 14 1-2 week old BO's & Blue Plymouth Rocks. I have been feeding Natures Best Organic Chick Starter this whole time for both sets of chicks. I was wondering if it was worth switching to a medicated feed for peace-of-mind? The EE I was going to keep feeding the organic crumble, but for the younger ones would it be worth feeding medicated feed until 6 week and then transitioning back to organic crumble? Any thoughts or advice for what you would do? Pro's / Con's to switching?

*Also though I would note - when the "mystery illness" killed nearly all the chicks from my first flock, I was treating with Corid (9.6ml/gal) and was on day 4 out of 5 for treatment when they all died except for the one.

Hi all,
I currently have 1 5-6 week old EE (the others raised with it unfortunately passed of an unknown illness), and 14 1-2 week old BO's & Blue Plymouth Rocks. I have been feeding Natures Best Organic Chick Starter this whole time for both sets of chicks. I was wondering if it was worth switching to a medicated feed for peace-of-mind? The EE I was going to keep feeding the organic crumble, but for the younger ones would it be worth feeding medicated feed until 6 week and then transitioning back to organic crumble? Any thoughts or advice for what you would do? Pro's / Con's to switching?

*Also though I would note - when the "mystery illness" killed nearly all the chicks from my first flock, I was treating with Corid (9.6ml/gal) and was on day 4 out of 5 for treatment when they all died except for the one.
Medicated feed can help build resistance to coccidiosis, but it’s not fool proof. Many chicks still fall victim to coccidiosis after being on the medicated feed. I think the best thing to do is have Corid on hand so you can treat them at the first signs of an issue. I think the medicated feed is more effective of fed from the very beginning.

Yes you can. The downside is that you won't be able to claim your birds are Organic for the rest of their natural lives. Its probably cheaper, too.

That said, if Cocci is already in the environment, chances are excellent they've already been exposed to it - and the medication in medicated feed (Amprolium here in the US) isn't a silver bullet, it merely inhibits the growth of cocci in the bird's intestinal systems in the expectation that otherwise healthy birds will be able to develop an immune response and keep it under control for the rest of their lives, not that it prevents cocci altogether.

So it may have some value at the periphery if a chick is struggling, but is unlikely to make a big change either way in the health of your flock w/ regard cocci.

Or so I understand it.

Hi all,

Medicated feed can help build resistance to coccidiosis, but it’s not fool proof. Many chicks still fall victim to coccidiosis after being on the medicated feed. I think the best thing to do is have Corid on hand so you can treat them at the first signs of an issue. I think the medicated feed is more effective of fed from the very beginning.

Do you think it would be worth treating with Corid prophylactically or should I only treat it if I see signs of them becoming ill? I do still have plenty on hand from when I attempted to treat my other chicks..... so I am thinking of just continuing them on the organic feed for now and watching closely. Their brooder is in my house and they are frequently being checked on

Do you think it would be worth treating with Corid prophylactically or should I only treat it if I see signs of them becoming ill? I do still have plenty on hand from when I attempted to treat my other chicks..... so I am thinking of just continuing them on the organic feed for now and watching closely. Their brooder is in my house and they are frequently being checked on
I do t think it would be worth it; as a matter of fact I’ve read that it can be counterproductive - that it can build a tolerance to the medication. The latter part of what you said is what I believe is best - watch closely and treat if symptoms arise.
If they are in the brooder, I def. wouldn’t worry as much. You can minimize their risk by always washing your hands and putting on a clean shirt if you’ve been outside before handling them.

Back
Top Bottom