Can I take the chicks from the broody once they hatch?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Maryallison, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Maryallison

Maryallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    Just wondering how many of you guys take the chicks away from the broody mama chicken once they hatch? I only let a hen hatch eggs out 1 other time. I let mama rasie them and well....[​IMG] they just didn't seem as friendly, like the cute chicks wanted nothing to do with me. I wanta play with the fluffy butts! [​IMG]

2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I think quite a few folks here will take them and brood them if they plan to keep them so that they will be friendlier with humans. Personal preference I would say [​IMG]

3. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I have done it both ways [​IMG]

4. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Momma hens really do the best job. But yes you can take them away from her. Could you just leave her 1 baby?

5. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    I much prefer to keep chicks with the hen. I like watching the interaction between mother and chicks.

6. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    If you take them away, they wont be seen as part of the flock. Then they can be bullied when/if you wanted to put them back. I think its better to let the broody keep them, but go spend alot of time with them all so they will be used to you. Or, do like Katrina suggested and split them with her.

7. Chicktastic

Chicktastic Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2009
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I leave them with the hen. They do get bullied if you take them away. But I make an effort to interact with them. If the momma is friendly then feed her to get her to come to you and then you can handle the chicks. Even my most fierce hen will let us hold the babies if there is food involved. [​IMG]

8. peepinglaura

peepinglaura Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    After seeing how loving and happy our hen is with her kiddies, I will never take chicks away from a mama hen. We're still developing a happy relationship with her chicks, who are now 2 weeks old. We got most of our others as pullets and have a very friendly relationship with them. We also have a hand raised one that will have nothing to do with us inless we're packing bread crumbs or berries.

9. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Do what ever makes you feel happy!!! [​IMG]

P.s good luck!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I have done both momma does a wonderful job raising her babies and teaching them to be a chicken. I have only even taken chicks from momma hens who seem less then likly wanting to care for the chicks or due to cold temps outside. Other then that if you have a safe warm place for momma and she is doing her motherly job. I'd say leave them with momma.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by