Can I throw them out of the house?

the lemon tree

Songster
10 Years
May 12, 2009
I have two 9 week old EEs and was wondering if they'd be able to withstand our 25* nighttime temps? They look like mini chickens, mostly feathered out.

Also, has anyone ever used a large dog crate (like the portable plastic ones) as a temporary grow out coop for a few young chickens? I don't have the time or skill to build another coop for the two of them. The crate seems pretty predator proof, holes are small, provides plenty of ventilation and draft protection as I will put a tarp over part of it and I will be have a portable fence around the crate to deter neighborhood foxes and raccoons.

If they are fully feathered and will be out of drafts outside they will probably be okay. Someone with more experience may have other advice. Nine week olds can be pretty stinky in the house.

We got two chicks that were 7-8 weeks old and the temps here were in the mid 20's as well. I put them in a small dog/cat carrier at night (the kind with the plastic sides and metal door on the end) and covered it with a folded blanket to keep in the warmth (the door was kept uncovered for ventilation). I also threw in a stuffed animal and old sweatshirt along with the pine shavings so they could cuddle with them if they wanted.

In the mornings when I let them out into the coop they were nice and toasty warm in the carrier.

Edited to add that they are in an old barn stall and the carrier was in there.

Last edited:
Quote:
Excellent idea with the blanket. I might just go to Salvation Army and pick up a cheap one to use. Perhaps a cuddle buddy as well. Thanks for the tips!

You might also try putting a 1-gallon bottle (use one that has a screw on lid to prevent wet bedding) filled with very hot water in the crate with the chickens. The hot water will help to heat the crate overnight.

9 weeks is old enough. Dog crates, rabbit cages, cat carriers...all work for 'grow out' pens inside the coop.

You'll probably find a cheaper blanket at one of the dollar stores. I think they're $5 for fleece. You could probably cut it into several pieces, they're pretty big.

Last edited:
Quote:
Excellent idea with the blanket. I might just go to Salvation Army and pick up a cheap one to use. Perhaps a cuddle buddy as well. Thanks for the tips!

One of my chicks really liked the sweatshirt. I had it kind of fluffed up at the front and this girl liked to scrunch up under the folds and snuggle in...I guess it was kind of like being under mom's wing.

Back
Top Bottom