Can I treat coop for ants?

KitaNori

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 12, 2012
My coop is infested with ants, I used diatomacious earth but it didn't completely work now there are huge flying ants instead of just sugar ants! My question is, during the day when they are out of their coop could I treat the perimeter with ant killer in the morning so it sits all day and put them back in at night?

Ortho has a product called Orthene that kills ants like crazy. The active ingredient is "acephate". There are several companies now producing "acephate" now that the patent has expired. It completely disappears after 7 days. It would be necessary to either apply it AROUND the coop and run or move your birds for 7 days if you apply it inside the coop and run.

The ants walk through the powder and carry some back into the nests killing the queen and all other ants in there. Just apply it where they must travel through the powder to get inside. Fire ants here in Louisiana are a terrible problem. This product has been very effective in keeping ants off of my animals and grandchildren.

I have not tried this myself yet, but I have been told that ants are repelled by cinnamon. Is cinnamon safe for chickens? The ants are just starting to come out here, so I was going to try the spice on our patio where ants are the biggest problem.

Okay so if I only apply it to the outside they can stay inside their coop?

Yeah well they are living under the outer shingles so they can't get to them. They free range all day so they may not be hungry either when they are in there at night

I wouldn't use most pesticides around the chickens. Might contact a feed store and see what they recommend around livestock if someone here doesn't know.

Back
Top Bottom