Can I turn my brooder light off?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by london08, Apr 15, 2012.

1. london08

london08 New Egg

Apr 15, 2012
    I have 6 baby chicks in a brooder i made from a clear tube. They just turned 5 weeks old today, and they haven't gotten all of their feathers yet they are still growing. The lady at the store said their temperture should be between 70 and 75 degrees in their brooder. Well with their light on and this summer weather in our house the temp. with the light on floats between 80 and 101 degrees. Am or should i just turn the light off and let them be in the dark? Would that be okay or should i keep it on, I dont want to roast them.

2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Leave it off and watch the chicks. If they are bunching up in a pile, then they are cold. If they are trying to lay far form the light, then they are hot.

3. stephensc7146

stephensc7146 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2012
    Southeastern, Ohio
    Try raising the brooder light. When I first got my chicks I had them in a normal sized tote, and I had the brooder light attached to my opened closet door. That way during the day when it was warmer I could raise it up higher to take some of the heat off of them, and at night I could easily slide it back down after it got cool in the room.

4. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    Five weeks is usually old enough for them to have grown enough feathers so that you can stop using the light. Our chicks went outdoors into the coop at around this time, and they still had bits of fluff showing through the feathers.
    It all depends on them though, whether or not they show themselves to be cold or not.
    Also, if you turn the light off at night, they might be a little unaccustomed to the dark at first and peep. That's pretty normal.

1 person likes this.
  5. cva34

cva34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Van Vleck ,TX
    If there in temps like 101 they will not feather out properly(too hot for feathers).I agree with lady at store..cva34

6. Apyl

Apyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2012
    Necedah, Wi
    Personally I would turn it off. IF they started to huddle and look cold then I would turn it back on but raise it.

7. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    I put a night light near their brooder when I turned the heat lamp off. Only way I could sleep at night they made so much racket. Put a small light in the coop the first few nights they were in there also.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by