Can I use a Blue Andalusian rooster to create blue sex links?

hatchingbunnies

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 22, 2009
Maricopa Co. Arizona
I am currently breeding several varieties of Red and Black sex-links and would like to start a blue sex-link pen. What are the best combinations? I can get a blue andalusian rooster locally, I have also found a couple of blue cochin roosters. Can any of these be bred with a barred hen to produce blue sex links? Also, could they be bred with a light columbian hen to produce sex-links? I have read Tadkerson's sex-link information thoroughly, but he doesn't address blue as much as the black and red. Thanks for any help.

You can not create a "Blue Sex link" (unless you choose to due feather sexing)

Blue Sex links due not have a golden gene in them ( i don't think) the reason barred hens work for a sex link is because they have a silver gene. When you breed a gold carrying rooster (ie. RIR) over a Silver hen (ie. Barred rock) you get a sex link. Blue's due not have (or should not have) a gold gene thus can not be used for a sex link crossing
big_smile.png

If you use a barred hen the male offspring will be barred- about 1/2 of them blue if you use a black barred hen. The barring isn't always so visible on blue birds when they hatch, from my experience.

Quote:
Umm, the reason Barred hens work is not because of silver vs gold, but because of the BARRING.
wink.png

Yes, you can create Sex Linked chickens from Andalusian x Barred hen, but remember that if the Andalusian is blue, your offspring will be 50/50 blue and black.
wink.png

Using a Splash male over a barred female will create 100% blue sex links.
smile.png

What color eggs would the Andalusian offspring lay since he carries the gene for white eggs?
What about the Blue Cochin? Would that be a better rooster for the blue sex-link? Or is it the same deal with 50/50 blue/black?
Anyone have any help on the blue roo over light columbian hens?

Last edited:
Quote:
No

Any sex-linked gene can be used to create a sex-linked bird. Silver/gold is the more common gene used, but barred/non-barred is probably the second most common combination. With black sex-links, the silver/gold gene is immaterial; it is the barring gene that is the determinor.

Blues are as likely to be gold as to be silver, but you do not want there to be leakage and have either colour show.

Quote:
You would get 50% blue 50% black, but not sexlinks. As Illia said, the only way to get sexlinks with a Blue Andalusian rooster is to breed him to a cuckoo or barred hen.

Back
Top Bottom