Can I use aviary netting on top of the run?

kathyinmo

Nothing In Moderation
12 Years
May 14, 2009
(SW MO) Nevada, Missouri
My Coop
My Coop
Can I use aviary netting on the top of the run? The run is going to be around 50' x 50' and it is soooo costly to use hardware cloth. The fence will be 6 foot tall welded wire (2x4), with hardware cloth on the bottom 2 ft, and 1 foot underground (or ON the ground). Since I plan to lock them up at night, in a secure coop, can I use aviary netting on the top? The main purpose is to keep the chicken hawks from swooping down during the day. Thanks, Kathy

I have a 30x70 run, and part of it is covered with netting. Mostly to keep the chickens from jumping out. It's been up for about 8 months now and I have not had any problems with it

I have aviary netting on the top of my run. I haven't had a problem with it, but it just depends on how comfortable you feel with your specific predators. I do have a lot of hawks in my area, and so far my chickens are fine. I don't know if it's because the netting is that great, or if I've just been lucky so far.

Safe from what? They'll be safe from above, but be forwarned, hawks also hunt from the ground. Coopers Hawks prefer that method. They attack our cardinals nests in the shrubbery, and DW caught one attacking one of our girls through the fence. So I lined our fence with chicken wire to keep that from happening. Our outer run has netting on top along with sparkly ribbon streamers as an extra measure. Haven't lost one since (knock on wood).

Hey ponchie - what are the sparkly ribbon streamers made out of? I'm envisioning something like those metallic streamers that they put on the end of little girls' bike handlebars. Am I on the right track?

Quote:
Last year we had 2 bantam chicks killed by hawks. And as you mention Coopers hawks, that bugger went right in under a mass of grape vines, pulled them apart, and also go the birds.

We have 1" chick wire around the pen, welded wire along the back of the hutch and that 1' area to the next building. Also the net that is used over berry trees.

So far so good on all critters... until yesterday when during daylight a racoon was in the hen house with my girls no less. I imagine it came in the same way it left. Glad I was home.
The poultry club claims that hawks have learned how to shred holes in the netting. So far so good here.

So far so good on all critters... until yesterday when during daylight a racoon was in the hen house with my girls no less. I imagine it came in the same way it left. Glad I was home.

I read on another thread that if a racoon is out and about during the day hours...... BEWARE, it has rabies.​

Back
Top Bottom