1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can I Use Chicken Coop Hay/Poop in my Garden?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Kentuckyrain, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Kentuckyrain

Kentuckyrain Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2015
    Northern Michigan
    So last winter for heating the chicken coop I did the Deep Layer whatever it's called using pile layered on pile layered on pile of hay/straw. It is my first time doing this and it worked great, no odor, dry inside the coop, etc.

Anyhow, Spring is coming, slowly coming,, how can I use this hay/straw/chicken poop in my garden or how do I make black gold dirt with it?

2. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    I would suggest composting first because of the high nitrogen content.

1 person likes this.
  3. eagrbeavr

eagrbeavr Chillin' With My Peeps

Put it on the garden in the Fall and let it soak all winter. The ammonia will evaporate over time

2 people like this.
  4. Kentuckyrain

Jun 4, 2015
    Northern Michigan
    Will do, thank u!

5. BertandMary

BertandMary Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2013
    Fayetteville, NC
    Hot compost it over the summer before applying this fall or you will be seeding your garden with hay.

1 person likes this.
  6. Kentuckyrain

Jun 4, 2015
    Northern Michigan
    Oh, thank u very much!

7. eagrbeavr

eagrbeavr Chillin' With My Peeps

Personally, I dont use hay or straw. I save dry grass clipping and use that for deep bedding. The chicken have their own personal lawn all winter. Then in the Spring I throw it in the run. The run is my compost bin. The hens work it all summer. Then I put it in the garden, turn it, and top it with a good layer of leaves. Late winter the hens start working the garden until planting. They eat all the left over seeds, grubs, etc. I dont even turn my garden in the Spring. Then hens have it ready. Works perfectly for me.

2 people like this.
  8. ellefisher

ellefisher Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2016
    Kentucky
    this is how i do it. After final harvest we move compost pile and poopy hay to garden let it sit on top tool right before the first major freeze then till it in and it works perfect

1 person likes this.
  9. Circle-M-Farm

Circle-M-Farm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2016
    One of the best things you can do is compost it, since the manure and straw mix saw little green products and moisture it most likely didn't compost much.
    If you do a hot compost mixing in green products, keep it moist and turn it often you should have a good compost for use in your garden in the spring.

1 person likes this.
  10. Kentuckyrain

Jun 4, 2015
    Northern Michigan
    Thank you, will do :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by