can I use euqimax and safeguard at the same time?

SBaltz

Chirping
May 2, 2020
Dixon, California
I am doing my second treatment of equimax for one of my girls and noticed another acting like she might have gapeworm. The whole flock is due to be wormed anyways, and I am trying to figure out if I can administer both the safeguard and equimax to the tapeworm bird or if that would be too much for her? We treated them with Valbazen in the fall and were advised to alternate wormers in the spring, thus the safeguard. I am looking to do the single dose repeated in 10 days, as we are leaving on vacation and will not be able to treat the birds for 5 days in a row while gone. My chicken sitter is not keen to either. Would the single dose repeated in 10 days kill the gape worm or would we have to go at it more aggressively when we return home?

- the bird with tape worm does not show symptoms of gapeworm, it is a different bird. But if I am treating the whole flock, I want to include her if I can/should.

Thanks!

Fenbendazole or safeguard dosgae for gapeworms is 5 straight days, 1/4 ml per pound. Gapeworm is rare. Your vet could do a fecal float to rule it out. Respiratory diseases are more common, and may be mistakened for gapeworm.

Fenbendazole or safeguard dosgae for gapeworms is 5 straight days, 1/4 ml per pound. Gapeworm is rare. Your vet could do a fecal float to rule it out. Respiratory diseases are more common, and may be mistakened for gapeworm.
Thanks. That is good to hear. I was stumped as to how she might have contracted it. Her crop is normal feeling and her breathe doesn't smell, nor is her comb abnormal coloring, so beyond the neck stretching and mouth gaping style, I am not sure what is going on. She did it a bunch early in the day and I only saw her do it twice later on (not together, and I wasn't with them for long during the day, so she might have done a bunch more without me seeing). Now to check on what else might be going on.

Back
Top Bottom