1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can I use newspaper?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by birdlover, Oct 1, 2014.

1. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Hello!! Just bought a very small coop that's only good for 3-4 chickens. Basically, they will only sleep in it and lay eggs. So the Floor is about 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 feet and pulls out to clean. Do you think it would be okay if I just used newspaper and replaced it every morning when I let them out?

2. chickenlover09

chickenlover09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2014
    It would be okay, you can I guess but I personally wouldn't. It seems much,easier, cleaner, and sanitary if you use straw/shavings and clean it out weekly.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If you clean it daily, it should be okay. My thoughts are it's kinda slippery, and it doesn't absorb well at all, Under the limited use you're describing, it should do okay as long as all it's doing is lining the floor. It would have to be thick layer, though, so the poop wouldn't soak through, especially under the roosts.

Have you thought about where your birds will spend time in inclement weather?

4. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Oh yes! There is a run that has a roof over it attached to the coop and they can also go under our deck where there's gobs of room for them to hang out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by