Can I use oral amoxicillin for a chicken? What should I be weary of when giving antibiotics if they are needed?

Chic-keyLady

Chirping
Aug 21, 2023
Hey chicken lovers, first time chicken owner here

I have some 5 week old chicks and one of them has been having sneezing fits. She still flaps around and pecks like normal. But her sneezing fits are so strong they throw her backwards. Her poop looks healthy and she still eats and drinks like normal.

So what I did was quarantine her from the rest and added some probiotics and vitamin/electrolytes mix into her water, cut the dosage in half so there's room for fluids to run their course. I put a plate heater in her separate brooder which is just a 2 by 3 ft tupperware.

They are all in the front room of my house and have heaters in their brooders. I did hear that dust from pine shavings can irritate their lungs so I sift the pin bedding before putting in a fresh layer. However just in case I put a towel down for the one. Every morning I rub some VetRX on her nose and chest, and every night I put some on her wings, nose, and sometimes in her mouth if she's breathing from her mouth.

But if this doesn't clear it up I was thinking of giving her some amoxicillin. I have it in a liquid dropper form in my fridge. I'm just feeling a bit hesitant about giving that to a 5 week old. I'm thinking that I'll weigh her then measure some out depending on her weight. Would this be advised? Should I water it down? Give a dose once a day? Or is amoxicillin just not a good idea... Any advice is much appreciated. I don't want to lose these birds

Last edited:
Stop the vet rx, it won't treat anything. It's just a placebo.
Amoxocillian is a broad spectrum antibiotic, it should help if there's something causing infection.
What strength is the suff you have?
It could be stridor if there's no other symptoms. No mucus?

Stop the vet rx, it won't treat anything. It's just a placebo.
Amoxocillian is a broad spectrum antibiotic, it should help if there's something causing infection.
What strength is the suff you have?
It could be stridor if there's no other symptoms. No mucus?
It's 250 mg amoxicillin. She doesn't look to have any discharge around her eyes or nose however she did snot on me today when she sneezed. Not sure if that was mucus or saliva though

I have some 5 week old chicks and one of them has been having sneezing fits. She still flaps around and pecks like normal. But her sneezing fits are so strong they throw her backwards.
Can you get a video of her? Upload video to YouTube and provide a link.

Where are you located in the world?
At 5weeks of age, can they not go outside? Do you have a coop/run ready for them?

Sneezing can be from a number of things, so if there are no other symptoms, then I'd observe for now.

Back
Top Bottom