Can I use rock in the run?

ChickDetective

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 13, 2014
Hey all y'all!

Sorry if this question is silly...I'm new to chickens and still learning :)

Im just about finished with building the coop, just a couple minor things now. The main level of the coop is there sleeping area, the bottom is the run where they will eat and drink. During the night they will be locked up in the coop with access to both levels. Right now, the bottom level is just dirt, I would like to add some nice rock covering. Is this ok, or will it affect their ability to walk or pinch their toes?

I've read that dirt is good for chickens, but I don't want them getting all muddy and tracking it inside the coop. This weekend I will build a 35x15 pin around the coop so they will have plenty of room and dirt. :D

I wouldn't add the rock covering. Chickens love to scratch and covering the floor with rocks will prohibit them from doing so. As far as their sleeping area goes, I recommend sandbox sand instead of the ever popular sawdust. It's easier to clean as you can just scoop the poop out like a kitty litter box.

I don't think it will matter one way or another. The chicken yard will be a mud pit every time it rains each winter anyway. You can plant rye grass in it each fall to combat that a bit. I can't see a problem with putting some pea gravel in that little portion under the coop though. By the way it looks very nice. I like the sand and kitty litter scoop idea for the coop, that's a good one.
Have a good day.

I had rock and got rid of it. You can't clean rock. The poop gets stuck between the rocks and you can't pick it up. If you try to hose it, the whole area stays wet and smells. I replaced all of my rock with sand and love, love , love it

I had rock and got rid of it. You can't clean rock. The poop gets stuck between the rocks and you can't pick it up. If you try to hose it, the whole area stays wet and smells. I replaced all of my rock with sand and love, love , love it
Rock is terrible to clean, though if you want, you can try covering the floor with shavings or sand.

Thank you everyone! Since the sand will be cheaper, I will trying that instead. I really like the idea of scooping it out with a kitty scooper. Thanks again everyone!!!:frow

Back
Top Bottom