Can I use saw dust for my "sand bath'?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by pdemorro, Aug 16, 2008.

1. pdemorro

pdemorro New Egg

Aug 16, 2008
    Killingworth CT
    Hi! I am the proud new owner of 5 silkies and I'm clueless! They have arun but the dirt is very compact. Can I make a sand bath tub with saw dust or kids sand box sand? I heard that they need this if they are not free range. Thank you for your help.
    Patty

2. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

When my chicks were in the brooder box, I used sand from my kids sand box. They used it for a "sand bath" and they ate it for grit too.

3. Cat_n_da_hat

Cat_n_da_hat New Egg

Aug 17, 2008
    Polk County Missouri
    I am new to the site and to raising chickens but my brother has had them for years , he told me he likers to use wood ashes in there dust boxes, says it really helps cut down on mites etc because of the lye.

4. pdemorro

pdemorro New Egg

Aug 16, 2008
    Killingworth CT
    Do you mean wood ashes from a fire place? I have plenty of that. Thanks for your help.

Patty

5. Cat_n_da_hat

Cat_n_da_hat New Egg

Aug 17, 2008
    Polk County Missouri
    Ya thats what he uses, he lives on the iowa minn border and heats with wood so he has lots of em too.

6. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    I have a cat litter box filled with wood ashes in my coop for the girls. They frequently use it and I haven't seen any mites yet. They kick the ashes all over so I keep it as far from the water/feed as possible.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by