Can I use Seven Dust for fly problem??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by AlabamaChickenLady, May 7, 2011.

1. AlabamaChickenLady

AlabamaChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2011
    Oak Grove, Alabama
    I have been noticing a bit of a fly problem, especially around the duck area. They look like the ordinary black flies. They are finding their way inside also. Can I use Seven Dust (5%) to sprinkle around the run area's to help with this problem? I want to use it in the chicken run, duck run, and under the rabbit hutch. My consern is that it will make them sick. Has anyone ever used this and will it harm the flock or the eggs? Can we still eat the eggs if I use the seven dust?

Any help would be great. [​IMG]

2. desman

desman Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2009
    Callahan, Fl
    I'm having the same problem I'v read several post on here people say they use DE, stalldry, and lime. I'v tried stalldry and like it got it from TSC but its a hour drive to get it and the local feed store don't have it. DE can't find it local would have to order it online. So I figured Lime should be easy to find so go to the feed store tell them what I'm looking for and they give me Chemical hydrated lime and my understanding is that will burn my chicks feet. But I to would like to know something thats easy to get without driving a hour or that i have to order online and that want hurt my chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by