Can I use the deep litter method with Southeast Texas humidity?

Hopefully you will get input from people in your region but I just wanted to comment that deep litter does get somewhat humid (it is NOT for an underventilated coop!). AND if you are doing genuine deep-litter method where the stuff starts to compost, it also produces some heat in the coop. Neither of which sound to me like what you'd be looking for in SE TX
wink.png

Good luck,

Pat

yes you can use the deep litter method in your henhouse.your hens will mix the manure with your litter.an keep it stirred an mixed.but remember its a pain in the backside when you clean the henhouse out.i just cleaned mine out 2wks ago an hauled out over 20 wheel barrow loads of litter an spread it.

Is your coop floor dirt or wood, wire, etc?

We use the DLM in our coops, which have wooden floors...the main coop's wood floor is covered with a linoleum remnant for ease of cleaning.

With using the DLM with wood floors, as opposed to dirt floors, I have noticed that there isn't any real composting happening. The pooh is dried out by the food grade DE, which we mix with the pine shavings litter.

We haven't had a problem with excessive moisture in our small coops and I suspect it's because of the wood floors as opposed to dirt floors.

Our runs are a wreck at this time, because our "spring rains" this year are making up for not happening the last few years. We'll eventually get in a load of sand for the runs...whenever the yard dries enough to have a load dumped here.

Hope this makes sense and is some help!

Dawn

Dawn, thanks so much! My coop floor is just like yours - wood covered in linoleum. I am planning on getting the food grade DE. Hoping I can find it locally. I've seen the link to the website that carries it. I may have to order it and have it shipped, I guess. And I guess I should get some sand in here! I'm picking up my babies in 16 days! The brooder is almost ready and we're getting so excited. The coop still needs exterior trim and interior finish out, i.e., roosts, droppings pit, nest boxes. My goal is to not lose any of my seven peeps. Wish me luck!
smile.png

Deep litter should be dry!

The term is *friable*

Humid air rises, keep your coop well ventilated, high up, and your litter dry.

Should be no problem in Texas.

i live in spring also and use the dlm. it has always worked fine except for a time or two when it rained for days.

no matter where you live, if you get some "bacterial digester" or "liquid Alive" enzyme producing bateria with instan odorr control from your local janitorial supply company, you can spray it in the poop diluted, and it will "digest" the poop and there will be no odor. it is also completely harmless to people and pets. we spray it on the cat litter and there is no smell. spray it in your garbage pan, no smell. mop the floor - no smell, no dirt! you can read about it here from the manufacturer.. http://itwprofessionalbrands.com/12...ontrol/liquid-alive-enzyme-producing-bacteria I live in FL and you cant get more hot and humid than it is here!

Back
Top Bottom