Can i wash my chick?

fivelittlechicks

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 13, 2009
New York
my newborn chick was born like 4+ hours ago. And we found it abandoned by momma hen. She has 4 babies that she cares for 2 additional that she attacked repeatedly so I brought them in and now the last 2 that have hatched shes moved to the furthest part of box to let die. We managed to warm this last one under the brooding lamp and seems to be well except its feathers are extremely hard/crusty and are not fluffing like the others. The roots of its downy fur has little balls on them. Its quite unusual compared to the other 8 chicks hatched.

So can I loosen this stiff mess with warm water or is it too risky and take the wait and see method. I know that if babies are sickly or have issues their momma will kill. But, the last four! That seems bizarre. The fist two were brown with black stripes and look like chipmunks and I assumed that was her reason for pickin on them or cuz they werent black like the first four. But this last one was black.

By the way, she has been hatching eggs for the last 3 weeks. Maybe she just doesn't want to do this anymore. I feel overwhelmed at times maybe she is to. Any suggestions would be helpful.

IF you decide to try to do some cleanup, you have to know that time is going to be of the essense. I would set a time limit --- 2 minutes maybe --- and do what you can in that time frame and no more. The most important thing is going to be getting the chick dry. I wouldn't want to be in your shoes but I wish you the best of luck ... it's a tough call either way but if something happens and the chick doesn't make it, don't blame yourself. It may not make it regardless of what you do.

Please keep us posted ... I truely wish you the best!

sad.png
Yeah that's sorta how we have been feeling lately. This is mother nature. We do our best to help but we can only do so much.

But 5 hours old was my biggest concern. His/her temp was so low that she was barely breathing. I just dont want to set her back. Thanks

That did not work. The other chick was crusty but within an hour fluffed out and looked great within 2 hours. This is what he looks like even after the bath. He feels like dried glue. I don't know if you can tell by the pic but their are little black balls at the base of his feathers/fur. As you can see he hasnt fluffed except his belly and even that looks clumped. Please check out the top of his head no fluff and bald. This poor little guy!

I did check out fatality and disease section. I don't know what most of these are or if he has some congenital defect but we are preparing for the worst and hopin for the best.
31185_baby_chicks_020.jpg

I am way too new at this to be of much help, I'm on my first ever batch of chicks (18). One little guy was very, very rough at hatching; he pipped but didn't zip, dried out, etc... I decided "what the heck" and very, very carefully picked at his shell to get him out. He was DRY. I didn't give the little guy much hope, but lo and behold, he is alive and well. Smallest in the group and feisty (figures!) and he STILL looks a bit "messed up" feather wise (LOL!) but he is doing well. If it is meant to be, it will be. If not, you did your best! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and the little "not too fuzzy butted yet"!

Back
Top Bottom