Can layers eat fruit?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by moonflowers, May 2, 2009.

1. moonflowers

moonflowers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    My chicks are still only 5 weeks old but I thought I would ask this question so I am prepared. I read in one of my chicken books or online somewhere that you should not feed fruit to laying hens as it interrupts their eggs. From what I have read on this site it seems that many people feed their chickens fruit and vegetables. I just wanted clarification if this is okay to do. Also, at what age may I start giving them some fresh fruits and/or veggies? I so far have given them worms, grubs, boiled eggs, and oats for treats (I tried yogurt but they weren't interested). Also, I have two holly trees in my yard. Will they get horribly sick if (when) they eat the berries?
    Thanks!

Last edited: May 2, 2009
  2. aaronzclark

aaronzclark Chillin' With My Peeps

I have fed my chickens table scraps, fruits, vegetables, there is nothing wrong with it but I would not feed them holly berries

3. BuckeyeDave

BuckeyeDave Overrun with Buckeyes

May 27, 2008
    Minster, Ohio
    My Coop
    They were once "wild" animals.

4. moonflowers

moonflowers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Quote:Good, I was hoping they could eat fruit, it is so fun to feed them treats and with my organic garden I often have some fruit/veggies that have insects that would be doubly a treat for them. I was not planning on "feeding them" the holly berries, but I have very little doubt they will eat the ones on the ground. I just wanted to make sure a few holly berries that they eat themselves wouldn't hurt them or if I need to block off that section of the yard (I have a small yard as I am in the city, so it would be difficult). Thanks for your advice and help!![​IMG]

5. chikenlady

chikenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Cantonment, FL
    My chickens' favorite treats are bananas and grapes!! They disappear faster than I can toss them! [​IMG]

6. PhlyinPheBee

PhlyinPheBee Poodles, Chicken, Goats--OH MY!!

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    My ladies LOVE banana's & strawberry's!!!!! Also got a taste of watermelon and it is going to be a great summer treat!!!

7. thesteven

thesteven Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2009
    mine kill for watermelon

8. Chicken Boo

Chicken Boo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Glenn Dale, MD
    Mine get apples (I save the cores from lunch), grapes, too ripe bananas, watermelon, cucumbers, and any thing else that goes into a salad (except onion and garlic). I go to the quick sale rack at the grocery store for cheap bruised apples and pears and grapes (oh, they love grapes). It gives them something to do before I let them out for the afternoon. I am averaging 6+ eggs/day from my 9 hens (3 of them are over 4 years old).

9. ChickensofBBN

ChickensofBBN Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2014
    Lexington, KY
    Can chickens eat pineapple, cantaloupe, and watermelon rhines? My wife and I cut up fresh fruit and have them left over and didn't know if we could feed it to the chickens. Thanks for any help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by