Can lockdown/hatching be delayed by a day or two intentionally?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by blzzrdqueen, Mar 17, 2013.

1. blzzrdqueen

blzzrdqueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Albany NY
    I just realized my older daughter will be out of town Easter weekend (she'll leave Friday night and be home Sunday night) and I am supposed to put my bator into lockdown Friday night. I was really hoping she would be home for the hatch...she'll be devastated if she misses it :(

2. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Hm. Running at a slightly lower temp will slow the incubation, so you could try that. Just be careful you don't run it too low or you could lose the hatch altogether. 98 is about right. She still might miss the hatch, or you might not have a successful hatch.. so many things can happen. So from a parenting perspective it can also really help to prepare kiddoes for those possibilities. There's always next time, too. :)

Good luck. I hope she's able to be there--it's really something special to watch!

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Lockdown Day 18 Friday
    Day 19 Saturday
    Day 20 Sunday
    Day 21 Monday

She probably won't miss anything

4. blzzrdqueen

blzzrdqueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Albany NY
    Thanks! I'm just going to let it go. I will have the web cam on it anyways and can record the actual hatch if anything happens while she is gone. Both kids will be home from school for April vacation the whole week after so they will have plenty of time with the new chicks [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by