Can mother ducks recognize ducklings who got separated from her for a long time

Dec 6, 2019
Philippines
I usually free range ducklings and make them live with Mommy but recently the weather of my country had been hostile to ducklings, so ducklings drown from endless torrential downpours, so Climate change is real. Also, my new neighbor is a Crazy Cat lady... I have cats, but they are indoors but cat lady's are outdoor. Now ducklings have potential predators.

I now raise ducklings in a box with an old PC UPS working as heater!! I have a struggle with the brooder system because mom raised ducklings are healthier based from my experience. The exercise and access to eating bugs keeps them strong. I lost 2 ducklings from niacin deficiency because the Pandemic got poultry stores close.

Now My ducklings lives on a diet of Oats, Beef saw dust, rice, dog food and cat food. Sometimes I feed them corn flakes.

This is my 1st time raising ducklings in boxes. Since I can't free range ducklings anymore because of crazy weather and Crazy cat lady with outdoor cats. I am planning to raise them in containers until their feathers are white.

So I separate these ducklings from Mom for like 7 weeks. I want to know if they will still recognize their mom , vice versa.

Once the Pandemic is over and Hardware stores are open and online shopping is possible again, I will build a cage that can fit a mother with babies inside as some sort of a nursery. For now I will raise babies on my make shift brooder.

I have a new batch of eggs to hatch, I want to know if bigger ducklings gets along with smaller ducklings.

No I don't think she will recognize them or care. With chickens, definitely not. In fact, Mama hen doesn't want her 7 week olds that she raised herself and weaned. She chases them away around that age.
You can put smaller babies in a see-no-touch setup with older babies and monitor reactions.

Do you know if duckling recognize their mom after 10 days seperation? and vice versa? American Pekin ducks.

Back
Top Bottom