Can Muscovy drakes be kept in bachelor groups?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chickboss, May 20, 2010.

1. chickboss

chickboss Songster

Mar 23, 2010
    I am thinking that I would like to keep more than one of my male Muscovies, which means I need more hens if I want to keep them as a single group. My neighbor on the other hand wants Muscovies, just because she likes them, and is not interested in egg production, or anything really other than bug/slug controll, and her husband may want one for a meat bird. She would be happy to take on a group of boys if I were to buy hatching eggs in order to increase the size of my flock. Anyway, would the boys do well for her, or would they fight? I thought that they'd do well as long as there weren't any ducks around, and that's what I told her, but now am second guessing that statement. Also, she would be purchasing them from me, and would like me to keep them for at least longer than 5 weeks. How much should I charge her per bird? They would be fed organic feed, which is more costly, and something she is really in to. I don't know if that can be a factor in price. Any ideas? Thanks!

2. L0rraine

L0rraine Songster

May 20, 2009
    Whidbey Island
    I'm not familiar with Muscovies, but I had a bachelor pen with four regular ducks and they all seemed fairly happy together. And it was so great to not have them all bugging the females.

3. chickboss

chickboss Songster

Mar 23, 2010
    I think that's the case with the Scovies to. Just want to be sure now that I said it! Thanks!

4. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I think, as long as there's no females to start any 'arguments', that they should be alright. I have kept up to 5 boys together without problem before. Of course it's always better if they're raised together. [​IMG]

I have 3 roosters that all pal around together too, all the girls are on nests so they've all started hanging around eachother. 1 of the roosters i even got because he was mean at my moms house, perfectly friendly with my roo's, lol.

Last edited: May 20, 2010

5. chickboss

chickboss Songster

Mar 23, 2010
    Good, glad to hear it!! They would be raised together, and would have a ton of room. I know the person who would take them very well, she is great with animals, and really has taken a shine to the Scovies. LOL, she was pretty excited to hear that I had them. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by