Can Muscovy ducks handle harsh Wisconsin winters?

deedles

Crowing
16 Years
Apr 5, 2007
Hello,

We're strongly considering some Muscovy ducks this next spring but wondering if we could keep a breeder pair through a typical Wisconsin winter? Anyone on here doing so and have any advice?

They look like a hoot to have around!

Thank you

I'm in Canada not the coldest part but we got to -30 and -40C often over the years... they do okay, main things is the facial fleshing watch for frostbite and also keep them out of the bloody water! they will ice up, they are not as waterproof as mallard derived ducks so tend not to just whisk off the water in the winter months and then ice and chill.

Good shelter, feed ... heck i have some who don't come in at night we were -12C the other night with a windchill of -19C yeah, pleasant lol They seem fine...

I still find my mallard derived to be more winter hardy than the scovies but the scovies can and do persevere, as i have had them for years and they are still the majority breed here of basically 50 ducks and 4 breeds total.

Thank you for the reply. Sounds like you have good luck with them which is encouraging and I think we will get some of these this spring. Your info is greatly appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom