Can my 8 week old rabbit be pregnant?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by michaelfarr, Feb 9, 2016.

1. michaelfarr

michaelfarr New Egg

Feb 9, 2016
    Yesterday, I left my 8 week old bunny with my 8 month old rabbit for 2 seconds and he mated her. I quickly removed him from her. But I fear that she may be pregnant. Can this be true? They are both lion-head lops.

2. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    I'm no expert on rabbits, but my guess it that if they are old enough to mate they are old enough to get pregnant. I have known females of various species to have young at astonishingly early ages. My question on your rabbit would be if he completed the act or if he just tried.

3. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Male rabbits will mount anything that moves and a lot of things that don't. I can't say to an absolute certainty that your little doe isn't pregnant, but it would be extremely unusual. Rabbit does don't generally enter adolescence before about 12 weeks of age; if your doe is capable of conceiving at her age, she's a very unusual rabbit. Most of us separate by gender at no later than 10 weeks just to give ourselves a little 'wiggle room.' But when it comes to rabbits, "the act" only takes a couple of seconds, so if you don't want to have a litter, you need to make sure male and female rabbits are kept completely separate.

4. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I agree with Bunnylady (as usual! Lol) It would be unusual for a rabbit so young, but definitely remember to keep them separate in the future!

5. michaelfarr

michaelfarr New Egg

Feb 9, 2016
    Thanks guys. Atleast I am a littlecless worried about my bunny

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by