Can my chicken have died of a broken heart??

I know this is an old thread, I’m sorry for your loss. It does sound like it was related to her age but I did have a rooster die from what could only be explained as a “broken heart”

I got him with two other hens. His Hatchmate and one younger than them. His Hatchmate had health issues constantly and came inside frequently for recovery, he was used to waiting 1-2 months for her. One time she passed away and didn’t come back out. After 3 months he became lethargic and would hardly eat/drink. Vet said he was perfectly fine. He passed away from starvation after about 6/7 months.

Attachments

• IMG_6449.jpeg
    IMG_6449.jpeg
    653.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 67360459797__5D568781-5F43-4FFB-8529-D34A0F292457.jpeg
    67360459797__5D568781-5F43-4FFB-8529-D34A0F292457.jpeg
    449.1 KB · Views: 1
I did have a rooster die from what could only be explained as a “broken heart”
Sorry for your loss. :hugs
Similar occurrences and a long time memory has been discussed before. Some people find it hard to believe a chickens remembers persons (rehoming) and flock members for a very long time. But experiences tell us they really do.
I don’t know of there is a research available on mourning effects or memory.

@Perris did you encounter such a research while you were digging for information about chickens?

I know this is an old thread, I’m sorry for your loss. It does sound like it was related to her age but I did have a rooster die from what could only be explained as a “broken heart”

I got him with two other hens. His Hatchmate and one younger than them. His Hatchmate had health issues constantly and came inside frequently for recovery, he was used to waiting 1-2 months for her. One time she passed away and didn’t come back out. After 3 months he became lethargic and would hardly eat/drink. Vet said he was perfectly fine. He passed away from starvation after about 6/7 months.
I am so sorry. :hugs I've had a couple of birds over the years that mourn hard enough they stop eating. It's tough to watch our birds pine away in mourning.

Back
Top Bottom